Dating smart and safe can help you enjoy the process and find someone who is right for you. Too many people make mistakes during the dating process and wind up with relationships destined to fail. Dating should be fun and exciting. It shouldn’t feel like a chore or a road leading nowhere. If you date smart and safe, chances are you will make better relationship choices. This will keep you out of the dating pool! Here are our top 10 ways to date smart and safe:
10 Ways to Date Smart and Safe
- Don’t reveal too much private information about yourself right away. On a first date feel free to share your occupation, but not the actual location of where you work. Your financial status, where you live and other private information should stay private until you get to know someone much better.
- Make your first several dates public dates. Don’t offer to cook dinner at your house right away. Don’t go to their house if they offer to cook you dinner or watch movies. You do not need to find yourself alone with someone you barely know. They may seem nice, but until you get to know them a lot better, better safe than sorry. And, let’s face it, the dating process only lasts a certain amount of time before people either stop dating or enter a relationship. Don’t rush the process, enjoy it. So many women especially miss dating the one they are currently involved with, so make that time last if you can.
- Another way to date smart and safe is to keep your brain on. Chemistry and emotion can cloud our judgement, so play it smart. Don’t drink too much, and don’t make it all about chemistry, unless you are dating just to hook up. Be aware of what you are looking for during the dating process. Remind yourself of your goal. If you are looking to meet someone you can be in an exclusive relationship with, make that a criteria a person must meet in order to keep dating you. After a reasonable amount of time, if they are not willing to be exclusive, why keep dating them? Always keep your eye on your objective or you will wind up with something, and someone, that is not right for you.
- Having a good attitude about dating is both safe and smart. Take it seriously but always remember you are supposed to be enjoying yourself. If you are not feeling it or not really into it, bow out until you are. Don’t waste your time or someone else’s just to go through the motions. Be hopeful that your date will go well, but if it doesn’t, remember that it is not the end of the world. Think of it like interviewing people for the job of being in a relationship with you. If they aren’t right for the job, send them on their way. Don’t get discouraged too easily or too quickly. Know that good things often come to those who wait and not settle.
- If you want to date smart and safe, choose available people to date. If someone keeps canceling dates or they are so far and few between, let them go. They don’t have time to date. They may never have time to date. Sure, you may really like them and think there is potential there. Problem is they may never realize the potential you think they have. And if they don’t have time to date how could they have time for a relationship? They don’t. If they are not yet divorced wait until they actually are divorced. The divorce process is time-consuming and hard, you don’t need to be a part of it.
- Be honest with yourself and the person you are dating. You know what you really want and are looking for. You know what your opinions are and tastes are. Don’t hide them because you are afraid of being judged by your date. If it is going to lead anywhere, it has to start with honesty. If someone is going to get to know you and you them, how can you without honesty? No one likes being surprised down the road. Be who you are, and be proud of who you are. The right woman or man will recognize you as someone they are truly interested in. The wrong man or woman won’t. Also please understand that just because you are being honest the person you’re dating might not be. Don’t take everything they say as gospel. Time will prove if they are telling the truth about themselves.
- Let a friend know when you are dating someone new. Let them know when you are going out, where you will be, and who you will be with. Give them the phone number of the person you went out with just in case. Agree to text or email them when you get home safely. This way someone is aware of what you are doing and where you went should anything go wrong. It is a good way to date smart and safely.
- Bring extra money along on a date in case of emergency. If you need to call a cab, or pay your own way, you have some emergency cash on had should you need it.
- Don’t take the dating process too personally. If you went on a date with someone you liked and had a good time with but they don’t call again, don’t obsess. Don’t ask yourself why they aren’t calling. It doesn’t matter. If you want to date smart and keep your heart safe, focusing on people obviously not interested is a bad idea. So what if they just up and disappeared? They must not have been the person you thought they were or they pretended to be. Look at it that you found out early they were a bad risk, which is a blessing.
- Another way to date smart and safe is to know when to tell someone you don’t want to see them anymore. Some people just stop answering calls and texts, but if you would appreciate the honest approach, then practice it yourself. There is no point in continuing to date someone you just are not connecting with. Tell them you had a nice time but don’t feel you are the right match. Wish them well and move on. Spend your time dating people who actually have a real chance with you.