When people look for relationship qualities in a mate, they often get sidetracked by qualities that really won’t matter in the grand scheme of things. There are a few very important qualities to look for in a prospective partner that can help your relationship flow more smoothly and evolve over time.
1. Truthfulness – If the person in your life tells lies here and there or bends the truth, this may be a red flag of worse lies to come. If you cannot believe what comes out of your loved ones mouth, then you cannot build a foundation of trust. Without trust, a relationship doesn’t really stand a chance.
2. Morality/Integrity is a very important quality to look for in a relationship. When things go bad, or times get tough, you need to know the person you love won’t cross certain moral lines. Someone with questionable morality or lack of integrity is a very bad risk when it comes to relationships.
3. As we said in our article Adult Relationships Cannot Handle Childish Behavior maturity is a key requirement for a happy healthy relationship. Without maturity, your relationship is almost destined to be filled with major amounts of drama and dysfunction.
4. Another important quality to look for in a relationship is the willingness to compromise. The most successful relationships will almost always have a certain degree of compromise on both parties. If only one partner is willing to make compromises, the relationship is off-balance. Both partners must work at a relationship, not just one.
5. Emotional availability is another important quality to look for in a relationship. If you want a man or woman who is affectionate and expresses their feelings, then find someone capable of it. Don’t think it is just a matter of time before they open up, because that day may never come.
6. Consistency is also an important quality in a relationship. It is not about being perfect, it is about being a certain way most of the time. We all have our off days and our bad moods, but if bad behavior or attitudes pop up much too frequently, it will negatively affect the relationship.
7. Empathy is a quality many people find important in relationships. When you are feeling bad, angry, sick or anxious, you want your partner to help you out, not make things worse. It is not our partners responsibility to fix everything for us, but if they have no empathy, then the bad times are always made worse.
8. Chemistry does not really develop over time. If chemistry isn’t present right away, it rarely grows over time. Chemistry is a quality many people find important, so make sure there is some in your relationship or it may not progress.
9 Similar priorities are a great quality to have in a relationship. If a couple does not have the same priorities, it is usually bound to cause major riffs down the road that could lead to a break up.
10. The last, and very important quality to look for in a relationship is the ability to communicate well. If a couple cannot argue, talk or share properly, the relationship will eventually break down.
If your relationship is lacking any of these qualities, contact Sophia Elise and Lady Sarah for clarity and insight into your relationship. Sarah and Sophia are relationship experts and life coaches who can help you get your relationship on track.